Monday, May 11, 2009

Living by the Sword(s)

Several paying assignments kept me busy for most of the day. But I've resolved recently that I won't let work get in the way of my workouts.

I used to take the attitude that you should find something to do that you enjoy when it comes to exercise. I still believe that.

But my former editor and writing mentor, Susan Ladika, told me that she makes it a point to set aside time for her yoga, just like she does any other chore. She depends on yoga to keep her healthy, especially for minimizing some back problems. If she didn't treat it like a chore to get done, she says she'd be too tempted to postpone it in order to work on more paying assignments.

I've also concluded that barring a miracle, I am not going to be able to get to Dallas this year to compete in the Legends of Kung Fu Tournament. It's somewhat liberating because, as much as I love it, it means I don't have to focus the bulk of my workout on Wing Chun forms and techniques.

So today I decided to brush up on my Yau Kung Mun. Following the full-body stretch, I launched into runs of the single and double sabres. It took longer than I planned because I was very rusty on those forms. I had to keep stopping what I was doing, go to my laptop, and play the DVD I made of the Yau Kung Mun sets.

Still I managed to do eight runs of the single sabre and three runs each of the opening moves of the double sabre. Afterward, I followed with five runs of the Gao Bo Toi (Nine Step Push) set, with sets of claw pushups and the abwheel between each run of the form.



I closed with a set of crunches and 30 pushups between a couple of bowling balls.

2 comments:

  1. "I've also concluded that barring a miracle, I am not going to be able to get to Dallas this year to compete in the Legends of Kung Fu Tournament."

    Sorry to hear that, but yes, it does mean your workout doesn't have to be so focused. BTW, am still interested in how long you make your workouts, and if you take breaks.

    Overall, glad to see you are keeping at it steadily !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kostas,

    They're usually anywhere between half an hour to one-and-a-half hours.

    Once I get a little more settled in this freelance stuff, I want to split my workouts into two, one-hour sessions. The morning session will focus on martial arts while the afternoon/evening one will focus on strength training.

    ReplyDelete